Monday, July 25, 2011

Lesson Three: Don't be a slacker. And don't be narrow focused.

my original plan was to update this project at least once a week. it's been over three weeks. i can put blame in various places, but really i've just been lazy. i haven't even been out to purposefully shoot for this project much. past few weeks have been kinda hazy, but thanks to the encouragement of a fellow photog and friend, here i am...updating. and hopefully my slacker self will do so more consistently. my apologies.

so, the last time i focused on shooting via the sunny sixteen rule was on the 4th of july. i had an assignment to cover a parade and i found a couple that was playing volleyball in some really nice light, and the trees behind them made a great, clean, contrasting background. however, for some reason i forgot that, while shooting via sunny sixteen, you can also make adjustments for which the situation calls. example: this couple was playing volleyball and, because i didn't think to change my shutter to a faster speed (and thus changing my fstop as well), the movement in the frames became blurry. it doesn't bother me too much, but it did remind me that i have a habit of being too focused on one thing. shooting in this mindset causes me to miss making what can be better and/or more interesting photos. hopefully, in the future, i'll remember to keep my options open while still following the rules.

No comments: